\


My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Art Class & Queens on Fire

Woke up at 9 am. It's an unusual time for me to wake up because I normally open my eyes at noontime during weekends. This ain't an ordinary day though. First, it's my first day in art class with E.R. Tagle. And second, it's Queens on Fire time!!!

So I first withdrew 2K to complete my 5,500 tuition fee at a nearby BPI atm. Then I had brekky at McDo. After gobbling my food, I immediately went to Herald Suites lobby. There I met my fellow students (no introductions happened) and the maestro himself. He doesn't wanna be called "master" because there can only be one "Master". I extended my hand and introduced myself to him. Then we immediately started the class with some exercises.

He told me to divide the sketchpad paper into 8 sections and with the use of a sketch pencil, I had to rub the tip to produce tonal values: from dark to light. With lack of sleep (thanks to Lala), this made my arm ache. After 30 minoots, I stopped and looked at my first exercise. Ain't bad. First assignment: he advised me to retouch some blank sections.

Then with the use of watercolors (brought back elementary days), he told us to create carrots and eggplants artwork. The first lesson was about wet-on-wet. Wasn't looking at his example much so when I finished, my technique & artwork was different. E.R. advised me to follow his style. Teehee... Oh well, he liked my composition though.

He also gave us some assignments. Dunno when I can do these artworks. I still have to worry about my current project.

Anyhoo, I went home to change and had lunch at Makati Cinema Square. Watched some tv before preparing for the concert. Left Makati at 5 pm.

Reached ULTRA around 7 pm. I got irked because I couldn't find the red gate. There wasn't any system unlike in Araneta. After some minutes of confusion, I finally found the right gate. When I got to my seat, I first checked the stage. Nothing fancy there. Just a matrix of boxes covered in white paper similar to the one they flash during Olympics Games. I thought they would play some lights on those white sheets. The seats in my area weren't comfy at all. I thought, "why not Araneta?". Oh well... The gallery was filled to the brim. Since it was still early, some of the seats were still vacant. People were still coming in though. They kept on playing the promo videos of the US concerts.

8 o'clock came. Concerts here never start on time. Saw Goma with Lucy (with her white skin and white tanktop, she can be seen miles away!). Rowell was walking around too. And of course, Mang Gerry.

Before 9 o'clock, the speaker advised us to stand for the national anthem. The show started with Christina Aguilera's "Fighter". Our Queens were wearing a tight-fit pink suit and they were groovin' to the music. Fun to see our Songbird strut her stuff. "Ladies Night" and "I'm Every Woman" were next on their opening medley.

They greeted the audience. Pops was being her gracious self. Reg (reminiscent of the "Power of 2" antics), was speaking in Tagalog. According to her, Pops is the IT girl from Makati while she's from Bulacan only. The crowd cheered. Pops thought they were like Dolphy and Panchito. Reg asked who the "Dolphy" is. After finding out she's "Panchito", she did the late-comedian's move. It was funny but I couldn't see it from where I was sitting. Bummer! Pops thought of the Rey-Card tandem. Reg did the late-comedian's lip movement too. She thought "dehado" sya. Then the topic of lovelife came. Pops wondered if Reg was being honest when she said that she's not seeing anyone. Pops thought maybe if the night continued, the Songbird would reveal something to her fans.

Pops entertained everyone with her dance moves. First time to see her perform and I liked it. She sang and danced to the tunes of "Naughty Girl", "Baby Boy", "Lose My Breath", and "Crazy in Love". She was wearing a short skirt during her Beyonce medley but 2 ladies assisted her in her costume change for her next number, an endearing version of "Take My Breath Away". In the last note of "Away", she held the mic to the audience and let them sing it. This is definitely a hit from the Concert Queen.

With a loud cheer from the Songbird's fans, Reg came out wearing this white gown, complete with a hood and a long bridal tail. She rendered an enchanting and heartfelt "Wherever You Are". She really owned this song. From the moment I heard her, I thought that her voice was in pretty good shape. After a brief spiel, her next song was "Shine". The people loved it.


It was Songbird's turn to change costume on stage. Her skirt was removed and it revealed a white tight-fit pants. Pops returned wearing a similar laced outfit. They sang the hit songs of Kylie Minogue: "Can't Get You Out of My Head", "Spinning Around", etc.


The Queens informed the audience that it's not their first concert together. In fact, they have done this before in several locations: Japan, US, and Italy. They missed what they like doing together, "Shopping". They both screamed this word. During the talk, Reg suddenly blurted out Sex. Pops warned Reg that her kids were in the audience and that the word didn't come from her mouth. Reg just thought it was an interesting subject.


They introduced their special guest, the prince of pop. Reg screamed "Michael Jackson" but Pops corrected her. It's Erik Santos. The young man sang "I Believe I Can Fly". And then he told the audience that he's very honored that he was able to perform with two of the industry's best artists. He introduced the next number as something new.


Pops and Reg came out wearing a black ensemble: blazer, a hat, and a cane. Yep, no pants. Reg asked why she had no pants. The two ladies danced a la cabaret style. Reg comically danced. I told my friend that she acted like Elizabeth Ramsey. Pops was teaching her how to be a graceful dancer. In one swing of Reg's foot, her shoe flew into the air. The people screamed. Someone could've gotten hurt. But fortunately, a man got it and gave it back to our own Cinderella. That was funny.


They did an arranged version of "Oops I did it Again". Next number was a sensual version of "Fever" with the ladies behind a chair with a big heart design. They took off their clothes one by one: gloves, blazer, & inner blouse while sitting down and the only protection was the back of the chair. They stood up only covered with their hats. The lights went out. Very nice number. Whew!


Pops came out with "Dirrrty". She segued to Britney's "My Prerogative". Then she rendered an all-Tagalog medley: "Giliw" (not sure of this title), "Di Ko Kaya", and "Ikaw Nga".


The next spiel was about men knowing how to treat and love a woman. Pops even called out to all the men in the audience. Very few. Regine appeared wearing a lovely pink gown with a red flower in her hair. Pops disappeared and joined her friend after her costume change. They sang "To Really Love a Woman". Reg was doing the second voice. There were dancers doing some flamengo. It was a great number. The people loved it.


The ladies talked about men. Pops asked what Reg's ideal man is. Pops thought maybe her friend has a high standard. According to Reg, all she wants is someone who is not too tall and a good singer. Pops thought she's referring to Ogie. She teased her. Reg corrected that Ogie is "not too tall". He is plainly short. Reg asked what Pops' is. She said any man would do. And the names of Martin and Brad came up. Reg asked if Pops could give Brad to her instead. Since Pops treats her like a younger sister, Reg can take any hand-me-downs, "pinag-lumaan baga". The crowd laughed at this. Reg went back to the topic of sex. She asked Pops if it's been awhile and there was no sex, would IT go back to its previous state. Pops couldn't answer her. She was laughing. Reg got scared for hers might close forever. The people roared. Reg said coyly that she's "bastos".


They introduced the prince of pop. Once again, Reg screamed "Michael Jackson!". They both lifted their hands and pointed at the center. Erik came out from the side. This was a funny incident.


Erik sang "Kahit Sandali" with the Concert Queen and "Sana Maulit Mulit" with the Asia's Songbird. The latter was Gary and Kyla's version. I like Kyla's rendition though.


Erik and Pops left Reg on the stage. Our Songbird paid tribute to OPM with songs like "Am a Little Bit", "Hwag na hwag mong Sasabihin", and "Itanong Mo Sa Akin" (not sure of these titles though). The crowd loved this medley. She capped it off with a full version of "I Believe". This brought the house down.

Her next number was "Addicted to Love". She's joined by Pops and Reg had time for a costume change. She came back with a beaded skirt. They sang "Proud Mary" next. They introduced the members of the band.

Their last song was "Power of Love". Reg did the second voice once more. It was nice. The Queens got their bouquets. And they left the stage.

The crowd shouted for an encore. And the two came back wearing jeans and identical white shirts with a red heart and their names in front. On Reg, "Pops" was displayed. On Pops, "Regine" was printed. They did a medley of 80s hits like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", "How Will I Know", "Telephone", etc. It rained confetti. The crowd stood on their feet and approached the stage. After this, the people screamed for more. Reg and Pops did an arranged version of a Pointers Sister medley they once did in Reg's "In Season".

I knew that I would enjoy this concert!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home