\


My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A Night with MYMP


I don't normally go to any local concert except if the artist is THE Songbird. I've got high expectations especially in how the artist interprets a song. When my friends decided to watch MYMP tonight, I thought I'd give it a try. I only know a few of their songs, "A Little Bit", "Love Moves in Mysterious Ways" (a Julia Fordham original), and "Waiting in Vain" (popularized by Bob Marley).

I met my friends (Joyish, Tamyts, Jomel, and Patrick) at Tavern around 7:30. Patrick pulled some strings so we got a VIP treatment during our entrance. Teehee... The ticket is priced at 440 bucks but it's consumable.

Anyhoo, the show was supposed to start at 9:00. We had dinner first. I had mango barbeque and Vodka Ice. It was otay. Not too recommendable. I tasted Tamyts' food, cordon bleu, and it was good. Another friend, Gary, joined us some minoots later.

Around 9, the band started setting up their equipments. Juris, the lead, started the show with an Alliyah original, "At Your Best". I'm not used to hearing a slow song for starters so I had to adjust ;oP "Fast Car" was rendered next by Chin. Their "Love Moves in Mysterious Ways" was better than Nina's. Some people went in front to take pictures. "Power of Two" and "Sway" were crowd favorites. "If I'm Not in Love With You", "True Colors", and "The Closer I Get to You" were the songs included in their first set.

An hour of waiting.... My friends and I got bored. Surprisingly, I met a fellow SOLV brother there. I knew that Ramil likes the band but I've never expected to see him there ;oP

They came back with "Back to You" with Chin doing the vocals. Juris joined the band with "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic". "A Little Bit" was another crowd favorite. "Crazy for You", "Constantly", "Especially for You", "Someday We'll Know", "I'd Still Say Yes", "Get Me", "She Will Be Loved", "Tell Me Where It Hurts", and an Ogie Alcasid original, "Sa Kanya", were included in their second set repertoire. What made an instant fan out of me was their version of "I'll Never Get Over You Getting Over Me". Pretty good version!!!

Around midnight, Jomel, Gary, and Tamyts decided to call it a night. The rest of us stayed for the third and final set, which they opened with "Why". "Eternal Flame", "How Can I Fall?", and "Kailan" (excellent) were the songs they sang. Patrick treated us for some margaritas. There was a portion where they asked people to jam with them. Three people sang: the first guy sang "Change the World", the next guy did "Ako'y Sa 'Yo, Ika'y Akin Lamang", and lastly, a girl sang "If I Ain't Got You". The second guy was the best among the three.

Last song was "Waiting in Vain", one of my favorites. They promoted their October 1st concert at Music Museum before thanking their audience for the last time.

I thought Juris' voice was soft. They sang mostly covers in this concert. I would wanna hear them sing their own songs next time. She looked a bit tired tonight though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home