\


My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Toto, We're Not in Kansas Anymore

A few minoots before 8 in the morning, someone knocked on my door. The QuickPak movers arrived. 6 people in red uniform came in and started to pack my stuff. Boyong, the supervisor, was friendly and efficient. They brought with them a huge roll of bubble wrap (TTOW!) and some cardboard. They asked for some plastic bags. Once an item got packed, it is transfered outside.

As for my clothes, Boyong suggested to buy some balikbayan boxes. I told him he could have them bubblewrapped. A good excuse to pop some later ;oP

Around 10, they were done. I finally saw the condo unit as it was when I first occupied it more than 2 years ago. I suddenly remembered the episode of "Friends" when the 6 characters left their apartment for good. No tears for me, this time.

I gave up my keys to my broker and bid goodbye to the guards.

We took the route of C5, Katipunan, and Commonwealth. When we reached Fairview, a patrol car magically appeared right beside us signaling our driver to pull over. The "police" noticed some people at the back of the truck. Apparently, that's a violation. Our driver paid them 100 bucks and the case was closed.

When we passed Malaria in Caloocan, a checkpoint personnel signaled us to stop. Here we go again. One guy asked if I were Military 'cause I was wearing camouflage shorts. Told him I just want to move my stuff back home (Francisco Homes). Boyong reported that we've already faced the authorities earlier. One "PNP officer" advised us to proceed to their office. An officer named "Galvez" asked for my barangay certificate. "Huh?" I didn't know that if I move from one place to another, it would require some certificate. I asked what should be indicated in the certificate. This Galvez guy told me it should state all my personal effects. I told him I've moved from different places and yet I wasn't required to present this freakin' barangay certificate. He said, "marunong ka pa sa batas!", obviously irritated. He said that I need to claim the movers' driver's license at the city hall. The driver didn't know how he got involved.

After some minoots, our driver motioned me to leave the place. I didn't know what happened between him and the officers. Good thing, he got his license back. I hate the fucking government who tolerates people like Galvez. This checkpoint is known for collecting money from motorists. We saw trucks passing by handing them money. WTF!

Around 12:30, we reached Bulacan. So good to be home. The move is just halfway done. I still have to worry where I should be putting all my stuff. The only problem with hiring a professional movers is that you don't know where they placed each item. I was also shocked when they deconstructed my Grandfather's Clock puzzle. If I lose a piece, I'd be devastated. Before they left, I asked if there were puzzle pieces left on the bed of the truck. They found three pieces. Whew! I just hope it's still complete when I solve it again later.

Some hours later... My clock puzzle has been resurrected. Yay!!! I re-applied for cable again. I paid an overdue balance and reconnection fee. No 2nd Avenue or Animal Planet channel this time. Crap! On the good side, I can now watch "AXN", "Lifestyle", "WOWOW", and "Cinemax".

For my first night in Bulacan, I drank with our kid neighbor, Allen, and an old friend/dentist, Jayson. We had Emperador and grape juice. Ahhh, Cityland days. Jayson opened a can of sardines and got some leftover rice. Perfect!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home