\


My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Friday, September 29, 2006

Adventures in Hospital Land

Came in early for work today so I can go visit Makati Med for my vaccination. After having my Jollibee brekky, I proceeded to ER to have my bite checked.

A very hip doctor named Carlo Prado took care of me immediately. He looked at my wound and advised me to have some anti-rabies, anti-tetanus, and some immunoglobulin shots.

I weighed first so he can compute for the price of my immuno-sumpthin-sumpthin shot. He brought out his cellphone and did some computation. He said, "38,000++" I did a double take. "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!" For that single shot? You've got to be kidding me! He offered me this option: either I take my anti-rabies and this highway-robbery shot to a government hospital (RITM in Alabang or San Lazaro in Manila) or take it here in Makati Med. Hmmm... lemme think it over. Gimme 10 minoots. Of course, I took the first option. He informed me that the anti-tetanus shot will be covered by EA, including the first of five anti-rabies shot.

And so I got the anti-tetanus shots on both upper arms. Just a little trivia: I'm very brave when it comes to shots. Sometimes I even watch before the needle goes in. I told myself that I'll be getting a lot more shots today so I better prepare myself now.

Settled my bill. The shots amounted to 1,124. Plus the other fees, I paid 2,444.03.

Running Total: 2,444.03

Withdrew my salary. Exchanged it to the local currency (50 pesos to 1 dollar). Boarded a bus to Taft. I requested the conductor to tell me if it's already Taft avenue 'cause I still need to look for this San Lazaro hospital.

After awhile, the conductor told me that I can ride a jeep going to Blumentritt. I did just that and asked the driver to inform me if it's already San Lazaro.

It's my first time to travel around Manila. Saw some Chinese shops, a lotta people outside their shops (no electricity still), and lotsa typhoon debris.

I finally found San Lazaro hospital. Unforch, I got there at noon. Since I still have an hour to kill, I looked for a place to eat. Found Jollibee but opted to eat at a nearby ChowKing.

Before 1, I quickly visited the church inside the compound of DOH and prayed. Proceeded to the battlefield afterwards. I wasn't expecting that there would be hundreds of people wanting to get treated for animal bites.


I grabbed a form (Step 1). Didn't carry a pen so I had to buy one for 7 pesos. Accomplished the form and paid for my ID card. 50 bucks.

Running Total: 2,444.03 + 7 + 50 = 2,501.03

I weighed again and was told to look for Room no. 5. That's Step 2 in the diagram. I waited there for almost an hour. Somebody who was very slow using the computer was assigned the job. Crap!

Waited in front of ER (Step 3) for another 30 minoots or so. When I heard my name being called, I went in and presented my problem to one of the doctors. I told him that I already got an anti-tetanus shot earlier and ready for my anti-rabies and the immuno-sumpthin-sumpthin shots. He told me to have my medicines assessed before buying them. Didn't understand this part. I have to go to 2 separate rooms (wayyyyy opposite from one another before I could even buy my stuff).

Anyhoo, I proceeded to the Assessment room (Step 4) so they could list down whatever syringes and/or medicines that I need. Then I had to walk/run towards the cashier for the payment. Then go back to the Ass room to get the supplies. How efficient, no?! --This ACA cycle actually happened about 5-7 times today.

Running Total: 2,501.03 + 1136 + 5 (for a wrong syringe) = 3642.03

When I got my first batch of supplies, I got concerned about the immuno thingie. Dr. Prado from MMC advised me to get one. I returned to ER and voiced my concern.

Around 4, I waited for my first shot. I had a painful skin test. I was advised to wait for 30 minoots and have somebody from ER to check on it. If it's negative, I have to buy the immuno thingie.

While waiting at the Injection area, I got to relax and notice my surroundings for the first time. A lot of kids got bitten on their faces, upper lips, butts, arms, and legs. I heard lotsa stories from the parents and from the patients themselves. I, of course, told them about my own case. But the thing is, it pales in comparison as to what they've experienced. It's heartbreaking to hear these kids crying when they get their vaccines.

Checked my schedule:

Day 0 September 29
Day 3 October 2
Day 7 October 6
Day 30 October 29
Day 90 December 29

I got into a conversation with a lady named Annaliza Reyes. She got bitten by a neighbor's Dalmatian on her right hand. She's also looking for somebody to split the anti-rabies shot bill. I said great. She had to look for an ATM so she could give me the money.

Running Total: 3,642.03 - 560 - 8 (for the syringe) = 3,074.03

I went back to ER and the doctor there happily told me that I can have the immuno thingie. Did the ACA cycle again to buy the shots.

Running Total: 3,074.03 + 3534 = 6,608.03

At the Injection area, I finally got my anti-rabies shot. Special thanks to Mrs. Reyes, I was able to save some money.

I was also ready to get my immuno shot when the nurse told me that I need to get a 10 ml syringe. Did the cycle once more. I also tried to get a refund for the 2 syringes that I won't be needing anymore. They won't give me back my money. Crap!

Running Total: 6,608.03 + 7 = 6,615.03

Reached the Injection area at 6. Unforch, the nurse who gives the shots was on break. Had to wait for awhile. I was hungry and tired from all the walking.

When she came back, she nodded at my direction. I gave her my stuff. She told me that she'd shoot me on my butt. I wanted to get it on my arms again but she insisted to have it down there.

Before I bid goodbye, she told me that I CANNOT have any alcohol. I asked, "for tonight only?". She continued, "while on medication". "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!!!" You can shoot me anytime with giant needles but not this, honey... I'll be alcohol-free till December 29th!!!

Final Total: 6,615.03

4 Comments:

Blogger candylicious said...

don, pano na sa christmas party? hehehehe...

2:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the nurse was right. You can't have ANY alcohol while you're taking the medication.

Teka... How many anti-Rabies shots were prescribed for you? You went to the doctor kasi AFTER the day you were bitten. Otherwise you end up having either of the following vaccination scheds:
* Day 0, 3, 7, 14, and 28 (1 dose each)
or
* Day 0 (two doses), 7 (one dose), and day 21 (one dose)

Tapos ka na sana by the end of October. :P

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kung ako sa yo bro pabakunahan mo na din yang aso mo at baka makagat pa nanay at tatay mo. nako, sakit na ulo yan. ibalik mo na lang kaya sa nagbigay sa yo. perwisyo!

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, kahit may bakuna ang aso mo. kailangan mo pa rin magpavaccine.

AND we should not blame the dogs din naman kasi hindi naman nila kagustuhan na kagatin ka esp kung house pet yan.

if natutulog yun dog or kumakain - syempre unang reaction nyan pag may nanggalaw si mangagat. isipin mo nalang sarili mo, tapos biglang may dumukot ng pera or cp sa bulsa mo, hindi ka ba papalag?

baka naman kasi minsan, tayo pa yun nakakaperwisyo sa aso!

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home