\


My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My Visit to Asian Hospital

When I heard about an officemate/friend, Patrick, getting admitted at Asian Hospital for dengue treatment, I thought about my experience last December. I felt depressed when I was inside my hospital room. Any familiar face would deff lift his spirits up.

So I joined the group
(Toffee, Mark, Boy, Jan and I) who visited him yesterday. Actually, it was more than a visit since we were planning to donate some blood. I honestly have no idea what my blood type is. This would be a good time to find out too.

When we reached the hospital, we noticed how big the lobby is. It looks like a hotel lobby. A baby grand was seated in the corner. I wanted to sing ;oP A salon was located on the upper ground floor. The place was clean and doesn't smell like a hospital.

We asked Jan, Patrick's bro, where his younger bro is staying. He said, "501". A very pretty doctor joined us in the lift. We all got tongue tied ;oP

Patrick was sleeping when we entered his room but he quickly woke up when he heard different voices. Somebody (a friend) was accompanying him. We told him that we wanted to donate blood. He told us to go to the lab on the 3rd floor.

We reached the nurse's station and inquired about blood donation. Before the blood donor coordinator appeared, we checked out first the nursery room. Awww, cute little babies were scattered around ;oP

The coordinator informed us that the blood bank is open from 8 till 5 pm. 'twas already past 6. If we know our blood type, we could be placed in the donor list. A blood expires in 5 days. So unless the blood is required, they don't just allow anyone to donate. Patrick still has 3 blood donations. That's good news for him.

We also found out that a private room costs 2500 per night while the most expensive room, Presidential Suite, would cost you 18 thousand!!!

Since we couldn't do anythin', we went back to Patrick's room. We learned that in his first checkup, the docs at Makati Med thought he was just suffering from tonsillitis. After a couple of days, his blood platelet count already dropped to an alarming 12% (150 is normal). Good thing, he went to another hospital. Otherwise, he would start bleeding.

We plan to visit him today after finding out our blood type. An O+ would be a candidate. I wish everyone is aware of their blood types. In emergency cases like this, it's pretty hard to find a donor. The blood type info should be included in the IDs or sumpthin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home